Friday, August 8, 2008

The “Wall-E” Affect

In an ongoing effort to beat the heat, Grandma, Ella, Cy and I went to see "Wall-E" at the South Austin Alamo Draft House. Between multiple trips (ala Cy) to the lobby to see the planes and spaceships that hang from the ceiling and the enthusiastic noshing on fresh, real-butter popcorn and a pitcher of root beer, I watched and warned off gloom. I'm sometimes prone to melancholy and taking my kids to see a movie the NYTimes describes as "a G-rated, computer-generated cartoon vision of our own potential extinction" was enough to plummet me into the doldrums. YEsh! Not to discourage anyone from seeing the movie -- it is a classic but despite the tender love story I didn't leave with that good vibrations feeling that summer movies can elicit. Good thing for Kung Fu Panda. I loved this line, "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a Mystery but today is the present... a gift" says the Yoda-like turtle. Words to live by.




No comments: