Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ethiopian Soul

Mr What Mookie Thinks stowed a CD in my minivan -- written in his confident print reads 'Mulata Astatqe -- Ethiopian Jazz.' For months I've used this CD as my secret weapon against particularly restless car rides. Within a song or two all passengers are transported to a very mellow, groovy place -- humming, foot tapping and thumb sucking included. This blend of american free jazz, traditional ethiopian music, and blaxploitation funk tames the Joneses.

After some rudimentary research I found that this magic is made by Mulatu Astatke also spelled Astatqé, an Ethiopian musician and arranger, the father of Ethiopian jazz. His genius is by no means a secret -- he worked with Duke Ellington in the 70's and more recently his music appeared on the soundtrack to the Jim Jarmusch film Broken Flowers.

I'd recommend clicking HERE to get a taste.
If that works for you check Dengue Fever too.


No comments: