Monday, September 8, 2008

flutter flutter

Mojo moments I'll call them -- the very second you realize you've discovered something special. I happily stumbled across two seminal 'mojo making' icons from my girlhood this past weekend. Friday night I saw Lawrence of Arabia at the Paramont Theatre. This was my first full viewing of the master piece. Why did I wait so long? Honestly, my inspiration for going was my near forgotten crush on Omar Sharif. Sometime in the 70's before I crossed the great chasm between preadolescence and puberty I encountered Omar Sharif in 'Funny Girl'. I was captivated by his face and understood in a flash that there was something between men and women that I was going to like.

AND on Saturday night Mr Mooks and I stayed up late enthralled by performances from The Old Grey Whistle Test
on DVD. These BBC recordings started in 1971 and significantly influenced music tastes and record sales. Debbie Harry, Talking Heads, U2 were amazing and they are all such adorable baby rockers. But Bob Marley and the Wailers performance of 'Stir It Up' took me back to the swivel seats of my neighbors custom van. That was where I first heard the now ubiquitous Bob. Eureka!
This new sound was some kind of grownup elixir -- sad, mad, sexy, stoned, ohso funky and very different from my little girl life -- and I was going to get me some of that someday! Not surprisingly Doctor Zhivago is at the top of my netflix queue.

Omar and Babs in Funny Girl

Bob and the Wailers on the set at The Old Grey Whisle Stop

No comments: