Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Little April Showers


If my girl Ella wrote a letter to Bambi this is what it might say….

Dear Bambi,

I saw the movie about you at my Grandma’s house almost everyday when my brother was first born. I really like watching you and your friends having fun. My Mom liked it too – although she cried hard the first time we saw it – and then she talked to EVERYONE at the park about the music and animation. She especially liked the “Little April Showers” part. She showed it to me on the computer. You can watch/listen to it in French too.

I think those hunters that killed Bambi’s Mama and started the forest fire are real jerks. Me and my brother never ever ever play with guns or matches.

Now I watch Princess Mononoke every weekend. It was scary the first time I saw it but not now. I'm sure you would want to be her friend because she protects the animals and forest. I pretend to be Princess Mononoke. I even have a mask and cape like hers. My Dad explained about how the movie was Japanese and kept telling me the name of the director. I like Japanese because my other favorite movies are Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle and I always eat rice.

Stay Sweet.

Ella Rae Jones

For more on the making of Bambi -- including a delightful sequence (in Part 2) of Thumper talking about "Eating Greens....."

Bambi - The Magic Behind the Masterpiece (Part 1)
Bambi - The Magic Behind the Masterpiece (Part 2)

To read about Bambi's influence see this article "Walt Disney cartoons 'contain secret messages on the environment'. Dr Whitley singled out Bambi, which was released in 1942, as particularly influential, saying that many green activists had credited it as the inspiration that first made them interested in environmental issues."

No comments: